Mosquito identification at WRBU is organized by US Department of Defense Unified Command Areas of Responsibility, CENTCOM, EUCOM, NORTHCOM, PACOM, and SOUTHCOM.
Reference materials on medically important mosquitoes are now available in compressed file (beta) version for offline viewing.
MOSQUITO CLASSIFICATION COMPARISON
- Compare newest taxonomic relationships to the traditional classification system. Or download PDFs: NEW , TRADITIONAL
- Locate Keys to genera, subgenera, and species, by stage: choose area of responsibility or alphabetical list.
- Examine mosquito morphology, basic and advanced.
MEDICALLY IMPORTANT SPECIES
- Review medically important mosquito species: Author reference, type, distribution, synonyms, bionomics, medical importance, links to additional reference PDFs; habitus and detail photographs.
- Review the fundamental distinguishing characters among genera.
- Access to thousands of relevant publications, in pdf format, including an indexed listing, Mosquito Systematics, staff publications
LABORATORY AND FIELD PROTOCOLS
- Learn about mosquito collection procedures.
- Searchable database of taxonomic information.
- An online repository for mosquito collection data and clearinghouse where individuals and organizations can contribute mosquito occurrence records, search for mosquito information, and use tools for the visualization of various mosquito collections.