Aedes (Och.) dorsalis
- 1830b:242 (F; as Culex)
- Berlin, Germany (MNHP)
Austria, Belarus, Belgium, Bulgaria, Canada, Croatia, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Ireland, Italy, Japan, Korea, South, Latvia, Lithuania, Macedonia, Mexico, Mongolia, Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Romania, Russia, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, Taiwan, Tajikistan, Turkey, Ukraine, United Kingdom (includes Guernsey, Jersey, Isle of Man), United States, contiguous lower 48, Yugoslavia (Serbia and Montenegro)
The larvae occur in a variety of habitats including both brackish and fresh water. They are often found in large numbers in tidal marshes along the Pacific coast and in saline pools along the margins of Great Salt Lake in Utah. The species also occurs in fresh-water marshes and in overflow from artesian wells and irrigation ditches. The species is an important pest of man and animals in Utah, California, and often in other localities in western North America. (Carpenter and LaCasse 1955:176)
Western equine encephalitis virus (WEE) has been isolated from wild-caught Ae. dorsalis in the San Joaquin Valley, California and in Colorado. California encephalitis virus has been isolated from wild-caught Ae. dorsalis from Kern County, California. (Carpenter and LaCasse 1955:176) Ae. dorsalis is considered a vector of WEE and West Nile Virus (WNV) (Turell et al. 2005:60).
Culicidae » Culicinae » Aedini » Aedes » Ochlerotatus
- Gjullin 1937:261 (F*).
- Marshall 1938:185 (M*, F*, L).
- Natvig 1948:201 (M*, F*, L; biol.).
- Monchadskii 1951:161 (L*; as ssp. of caspius).
- Bohart 1954:360 (L*).
- Barr 1955:170 (M*; tax.).
- Carpenter and LaCasse 1955:174 M*, F*, L).
- Hara 1957:59 (F*).
- Price 1960:554 (lst stage L*).
- Myers 1967:799 (E*).
- Gutsevich, Monchadsky and Stackelberg 1974:201 ( M*, F, L*; change in status.).
- Dahl 1975:81,86 (distr.).
- Minar 1976:344 (M*, F*; tax.).
- Utrio 1976:131,134 (L*).
- Tanaka 1999:107 (P*; tax.; distr., Japan).
- Alten, Caglar and Ozer 2000: 28 (distr., Turkey).
- Spungis 2000 6: 10 (distr., Latvia).
Adult Stage, detail images:
Click on image to open larger view in a separate window. Higher-resolution detail images of some specimens are available on request.