Culex (Mel.) spissipes
- 1903a:242 (F*; Melanoconion)
- Type-loc: Trinidad (BM)
Belize, Bolivia, Brazil, Colombia, Ecuador, French Guiana, Guatemala, Honduras, Mexico, Panama, Peru, Suriname, Trinidad and Tobago, Venezuela
- Dyar and Knab 1907a:13 (F)
- Type-loc: Colon, Panama Canal Zone (USNM)
- Dyar 1918d:125 (M)
- Type-loc: Trinidad River, Panama (USNM)
- Komp and Curry 1932:82 (M*)
- Type-loc: Mojinga Swamp, lower Chagres River, Panama Canal Zone (USNM)
- Sutil Oramas, Pulido Florenzano and Amarista Meneses 1987:85 (M*)
- Type-loc: Chiricoa, San Camillo, Apure, Venezuela (DERM)
Immatures have been found in fresh water and heavily shaded margins of permanent bodies of water (lakes, swamps) and ground pools. Adult females have been collected in shannon traps, on human bait in forest areas and at margins of lakes as well as CDC traps supplemented with dry ice or baited with rodent or chicken (Sallum and Forattini 1996).
Reported to be potential vector of venezuelan equine encephalitis (VEE) and and several viruses of the family Bunyaviridae including Bimiti, Caraparu, Oriboca, and Itaqui viruses (Sallum and Forattini 1996).
Culicidae » Culicinae » Culicini » Culex » Melanoconion
- Bourroul 1904: 70 (Brazil).
- Howard, Dyar and Knab 1915: 312 (M; tax.).
- Bonne and Bonne-Wepster 1925: 268 (in part ; Suriname; misidentification of M, see Takahashi 1968).
- Dyar 1925c: 169 (Panama).
- Dyar 1925d: 214 (Venezuela).
- Martini 1935: 60 (Mexico, Belize).
- Foote 1954: 94 (tax.).
- Takahashi 1968;329 (M*, F*; syn.).
- Sirivanakarn 1983: 278 (M*, F*).
- Pecor et al. 2000: 213 (distr., Peru).
Adult Stage, detail images:
Click on image to open larger view in a separate window. Higher-resolution detail images of some specimens are available on request.